Alamo Placita

   

Alamo Placita is bordered by 6th Avenue to the North, Speer  Boulevard to the South, Downing Street to the East, and Pennsylvania  Avenue to the West

Alamo Placita is named after Alamo Placita Park, which is located on  the North side of Speer Boulevard between Ogden and Emerson streets.  In  the 1860s, this neighborhood was little more than prairie land along  Cherry Creek before farsighted investor Moses Hallett, an attorney,  bought the land in 1864.  Among the first to invest in the development  of the area was Robert W. Speer.

Alamo Placita Park (Little Place of the Cottonwoods) has often been  called Denver’s most ideal and most beautiful park.  The name  commemorates the many cottonwoods that grew naturally in the area, and a  few of the old trees can still be found.

During the 1960s through the 1980s, the value of the neighborhood as a  family-oriented environment close to the heart of the city was quietly  rediscovered by young professionals and others.  Lawyers, doctors,  teachers, and businesspeople were moving into Alamo Placita in greater  numbers, joining trade craftsmen, clerks, salesmen, and others.   As the  number of residents grew, the Alamo Placita Neighbors Association was  formed to help preserve the area’s architectural integrity.

The environment was characterized by lower-scale dwellings with  streetscapes that respected visually pleasing setbacks accommodating  gardens, lawns, and sidewalks.